Statue of Liberty Facts
Learn about Statue of Liberty Facts
Visit Statue of Liberty...
Fun Facts about the Statue of Liberty
- Liberty Island was known as Bedloe's Island till 1956.
- The original name of the 'Statue of Liberty' is Liberty Enlightening the World.
- This marvelous statue was created by Frederick Auguste Bartholdi.
- The height of the statue is 152 feet.
- The Statue has a 35-foot waistline.
- The statue was built from copper sheets mounted onto a steel framework.
- The statue is of an upright woman dressed in a flowing robe, wearing a 7-point spiked crown, representing the seven continents or the seven seas.
- Lady Liberty holds a torch high over her head in the right hand, and holds a tablet close to her body in the left hand.
- Liberty island was closed to the public from September 11, 2001 and reopened in December the same year.
- The foundation (pedestal and 11-point star foundation) measures a total 154 feet.
- Total weight of the Statue of Liberty is 225 tons (or 450,000 pounds).
- The statue was shipped to New York from France in 354 pieces.
- The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886.
- It was declared a national monument in 1924.
Statue of Liberty at night.
Read Statue of Liberty Books to know more.
Return from Statue of Liberty facts to New York